Tuesday, March 31, 2015

So there's this "Writing Tip Tuesdays" thing...

Back in my blog's early days I ran a weekly Sunday Surfing series that provided links to cyberplaces I found interesting. These were the days I found myself hopping aboard one meme train after another. Remember them? Kreativ Blogger Award, The Versatile Blogger, The Booker, but the one I liked most was The Lucky Seven.

Adam Gaylord
The Lucky Seven (7-7-7) required a writer to post the seven sentences that begin on the seventh line of page seven (or seventy-seven) of their WIP. I found interesting excerpts on many writers' blogs, but there was one excerpt that amazed me. It came from Sol of the Coliseum written by Adam Gaylord. (I linked it in a Sunday Surfing post almost three years ago, but it's worth linking again. You can find it here. And in October 2015, Mirror World Publishing is releasing the book from which that excerpt came, so be sure to congratulate him!)

Writing Tip TuesdaysAdam has recently begun a blog series of his own: Writing Tip Tuesdays. Each Tuesday, Adam--or a guest--provides a tip for us writers. He kicked off the series by inviting someone named David Powers King. (Does anyone out there know who this guy is? I hear he teamed up with Michael Jensen and wrote some book called Woven that's garnering all sorts of rave reviews. Might be worth checking out.)

For some reason, the super-talented Adam also asked yours truly to submit a tip for his series. Fully aware as I am that only the wise can dispense wisdom, I donned my Henry David Thoreau mask and shamelessly submitted a word of writerly advice anyway. So stop by Adams Gaylord Writes and read why I encourage you to Poke Your Head Up.

33 comments:

  1. I saw your post pop up at Adam's blog earlier and loved it. How cool that you were asked to participate in Writing Tip Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! Adam makes cool happen like a pro. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. My pleasure, Adam. Thanks to you for the invitation and being a fine host!

      Delete
  3. Off to investigate. And loved it. Poking our heads over the parapet (in a submarine if necessary) is so valuable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's valuable and essential, isn't it? Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. Loved the tip the first time I read it. Still loving it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love having a dragon loving it!

      P. S. Heal quickly and fully, my friend.

      Delete
  5. Just visited your post. Thanks for the shout-out, Jeff! Adam's return to the blogosphere is really kicking off like a bowl of awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, David. Adam has a great future ahead of him for sure.

      Delete
  6. Checking it out now. And boy do I like the idea of The Lucky Seven! I might go and check that line of my WIP just to see what it lands on! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to read what it turns out to be, Anna!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment over there, Lynda! :-D

      Delete
  8. It was a great post.

    I loved Sunday Surfing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth. Maybe I can one day resume Sunday Surfing... providing I can ever wrangle my schedule into compliance. ;-)

      Delete
  9. "Fully aware as I am that only the wise can dispense wisdom..." And since you are wise, the wisdom you dispense makes us fully aware. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes! I remember your guest post over at Adam's. It was wonderful, Jeff. Hope you are doing well. Hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Morgan! And yes, I've actually been doing pretty well lately. It's a nice feeling. ;-)

      Delete
  11. That was a good reminder and I loved the example you gave. Thanks for your blitz comment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your book release, Adam, that's great!! :)

    Some of those 'blogger tagging' things were quite good, back in the day. Ahhh those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the very least, those awards and challenges were great for making new friends.

      Delete
  13. I love the lucky seven. It's still going around...limitedly. In fact, the new phase hit facebook not too long ago. Got crazy for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was always interesting reading the snippets that were shared.

      Delete
  14. Hello, Jeff! Glad to meet you! I was scrolling through followers' photos and happened upon yours.
    Just stopped by David king Powers, and heading to his book site. Sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're always welcome here, Susan. I'm sure DPK feels the same way.

      Delete