Saturday, May 27, 2017

A New Hobby - Painting

Wow, ten months have simply vanished since I last blogged and this place here is dusty! (And I'm sneezing--for real!) Alas, I've not been idle all this while. Overtime and I have been inseparable, but I've managed to do a wee bit of writing and plotting. However, my writing desk is no longer dedicated exclusively to writing.

I desperately needed a creative outlet that I could actually do after draining my brain at work, so my writing desk now doubles as a painting desk! Yup, I decided to try my hand at another form of art. It's a fantastic diversion and I'm really enjoying it. And I might actually be improving.

I chose acrylics as my medium and am using canvas panels for the most part. (I see little sense in wasting good money on mediocre canvases to hold beginner art.) I did, however, finally acquire some "quality" paints after much persuasion. I started using them just recently (beginning with the black and white "depth & contrast study" painting below).

There are some wonderful beginner-level tutorials on YouTube produced by folks who really try to teach. I must tip my hat to Ryan O'Rourke at Ten Minute Painting Tutorials. The first four paintings below were derived from his videos. There are, of course, many others out there who do a fantastic job as well.

Who knows? Maybe one day I'll improve enough to do my own book covers! (I'm allowed to dream; I do, after all, write fantasy.)

The paintings below are listed in chronological order based on date completed, but they were all completed this month. (Just finished Road Runner today!)

8"x10"

8"x10"

5"x7"

11"x14"

5"x7" Black & White paint only (Depth/Contrast study)

16"x20" ("Team Mascot" at Work)

26 comments:

  1. How lovely to see you back in the blogosphere - and with a new avenue for your creativity.
    As someone who is all thumbs I am simultaneously envious and awed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeff - yes good to see you back ... and wonderful you're putting your creative skills into painting. What a great range you've got here ... the first ones take on almost Japanese, or Chinese air ... then the black and white on is a delight ... and what fun to be able to create agile team mascots! Brilliant ... cheers and long may your art work bring you enjoyment - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly enjoying it. Must say though that I never expected I'd ever be painting Road Runner! haha

      Delete
  3. These are gorgeous! The coloring is so soothing on the eyes. I've never tried acrylics, but I have dabbled in watercolor art, so I know how challenging painting in general can be. Doesn't seem like a beginner created these at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather. I'd be a total loss without the YouTube videos. There's so much information out there.

      Delete
  4. Good to hear from you, Jeff!
    That's great you found another creative outlet. Really dig the solar system painting. And you can see your progression in each one. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, been too long gone. Each of the paintings makes it possible to experiment with new concepts and techniques.

      Delete
  5. Those are beautiful, Jeff. I love the mountains.

    Creative people are creative in many aspects of life. I'm happy you found another outlet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. I'm particularly found of mountains and jumped at the chance to try painting them.

      Delete
  6. Looks good. Another creative idea for a creative outlet when the brain is worn down by every day matters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry. Brain-drain is way too commonplace for me of late. hehe

      Delete
  7. It seems this new creative outlet works for you! The second one reveals your "heart" there is something magical about a heart shaped lake. You need a creative outlet especially when working long hours, believe me I know. Creativity comes from within it sometimes needs to be expressed in a new form. I hope to see more of your artwork.

    ps - of course the cosmos would intrigue me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! Long hours for short periods can be rough, but when stretched out for months on end it becomes a real challenge. Take care!

      Delete
  8. I have a hard time choosing my favorite, Jeff! They're all beautiful. I'd never guess that you just started painting. I would soooo pay you to paint a portrait of the late Prince in Purple Rain attire, just because I know it would be awesome! (Hint, hint)

    Keep doing what you're doing and ENJOY!! Xoxoxo Eva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it would be wonderful if I could get good enough to paint Prince and do him justice! Thank you!!

      Delete
  9. Next thing we know you'll be going on a painting retreat like a certain dragon we know. I am delighted you have found a new hobby but I do hope you won't forget your writing. As you know I love your paintings, but Road Runner???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Not near good enough to attend any retreats! The newly-created "Agile" team I'm on chose RoadRunners as our team name. I figured since I was trying to learn how to paint I might as well attempt painting our mascot. :-)

      Delete
  10. As I've said on Twitter, I'm really liking your art. Your brush strokes are very nice. I'd be interested to see some Chinese brush paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patrick. I'll upload another batch when I get them finished. Not sure Chinese brush paintings will be among them. :-)

      Delete
  11. Good stuff indeed, art is everything. Welcome and warm greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Jeff....
    NICELY done...

    I was an illustration major in college, so I know how art can inspire and how much enjoyment comes from it. In the past few years I have illustrated several children's books and covers, SO YOU will get there. I definitely see you have the talent for it...

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael! That's a big boost of confidence for me. I do hope to one day move beyond merely appreciating art to actually creating art. I've no delusions and fully realize that improving requires much time and practice, both of which I'm willing to give. :-)

      Delete
  13. Hey Jeff,

    Oh my, I finally got here. Awesome to see you, good sir. Your artistry is truly wondrous. Such a positive distraction.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for that, Gary! Hope that elbow is fully recovered very very soon!

      Delete