Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sunday Surfing

Enjoy the links!

What Fantasy Writers Can Learn From Horror

Paul Dorset wrote a nice 9-part series on why Scrivener is his writing tool of choice.

A bit of advice to writers

Write into Print is running an interesting "Self editing 4 fiction" series. Four have been published including: the Intro, Show AND Tell, Characterization and exposition, and Point of View.

I've also been tagging along with Chris Fries on the multi-part Quest for "Story" which--thus far--includes: Strength of Character, Forging the Chains, Whisper, Growl or Bark?, In the Beginning, and A Con Artist.

A comprehensive (3,000+) Mythical Creatures List


In other news, I've updated my progress bar for The Bonding. I've been Marianas Trench deep into revisions for the past couple weeks.  (Hence the lack of posts.)  I've killed my darlings by the thousands!  Please forgive my hyperbole, but I've cut word count by almost 20,000, eliminated and combined characters, condensed the plot and performed liposuction on my prose.  There may be hope for this manuscript yet!

8 comments:

  1. Good news on your manuscript! If I ever cut that much though my novel would be reduced to a novelette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider that a blessing. I crowned myself "Prince of Prepositions"... Probably should be "King" but I thought "Prince" had a nicer ring. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on killing those darlings. 20,000 words is amazing. My manuscripts tend to end up seriously bloated, too, so I am proud of you. Now, off to the links. You have some really intriguing ones here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Better than 10% in this case. Lauren's various types of editing passes inspired me. (I'll be linking to her series on the topic before long.) I went through the manuscript multiple times focusing on different things each time. It was quite illuminating.

      Delete
  3. Good links! I especially like the creature list and the scrivener post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, both were very good. I downloaded Scrivener and plan to give it a shot soon. Not sure I can part with my custom-written writing workbench though. I've actually expanded its functionality recently. I'm also looking forward to further mythical creature reading too.

      Delete
  4. Just to not loose the habit, I visited Wikipedia to look for Marianas Trench. Yes, I thought it was a person but hey, it has been loong time since my Geography classes, so I won't feel bad about that. :P Anyway, congratulations on your achievement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it was named after Spanish Queen Mariana, so you were partly correct. Thanks for the congrats!

      Delete