Monday, April 23, 2012

The Lucky 7 Meme (7-7-7 Challenge)


The Lucky 7 Meme

Charlie Holmberg tagged me with the infamous "7-7-7 Challenge" in her post here.  In truth, I almost missed it. This past week was a blur.  Life screamed by at Mach 7 when it wasn't approaching warp speed.  But I finished the draft and life is now decelerating.  A bit.

This 7-7-7 is one that I've been following for a while.  I love seeing the snippets people post.  It's the only (non-blog) writing I've managed to glimpse from some who have been tagged.  And the snippets always seem so fascinating.

My Lucky Seven
My Lucky Seven
The 7-7-7- Challenge Rules
  • Flip to page 77 of your current WIP.
  • Find line 7.
  • Post the 7 lines or sentences that follow.
  • Tag 7 more writers.

So here's mine.  Of course, it's mid-conversation...

“None taken, sir.” Daaron then muttered afterward, “Since you weren't calling me a lass.”

Abby ran her fingers through Daaron's shoulder length hair. “But you sure are pretty like one.”

Daaron stared open mouthed and said nothing. He had no idea how to reply to something like that. He figured it best not to try, so he snapped his mouth shut and spread his lips in a wide grin that told Abby she'd got the better of him that time. Daaron turned more serious as he looked at Tobin. “Is it a problem? Something I should worry about?”

The Hosiyin squeezed his sparkling staff tight as he answered. “I think not. It's just out of the ordinary.”

I tagged folks that I believe are writing or polishing up manuscripts and who also haven't been (at least recently) tagged for this.  Hopefully, I succeed.

My tags:  (Yes, I can count, but not all may be interested in participating.)

If you're not yet at page 77, drop back to page 7 or pull from an earlier work.  I'm curious to see your snippets!  :-)

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Richard. If I had cheated and skipped a few paragraphs then I could have excerpted the section where the series (and my blog) title "Strands of Pattern" actually appear in the manuscript. (It only happens twice, I think.) But I must be a good boy and play by the rules.

      Delete
  2. Great snippet! You got some fabulous characterization in there. And thanks for the tag! I'll have to see if it is something I have permission to do. If I can, I'll get to it as soon as the A-Z blogfest is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thanks! Daaron and Abby make such a cute couple. 'Tis a shame some writer keeps throwing obstacles in their way. ;-)

      Oooh, I do hope you do. I'd love to see it! And April isn't exactly the best time for these memes and tags, is it?

      Delete
  3. I'm intrigued by your characters and interested to know the story behind this. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The conversation takes on a more serious tone shortly afterwards as Tobin begins revealing to Daaron that he not only has a remarkable ability, but that the ability rarely manifests itself in males. And then the mentoring begins. :-)

      Delete
  4. Very fun! Thanks for the tag. :)

    ReplyDelete